Central Government vide notification dated 26th December, 2023 has directed that sugar and food grains shall be packed in jute packaging material for supply or distribution. The following may be exempted from the requirement:-
- Sugar fortified with vitamins;
- Packaging for export of commodities;
- Small consumer packs of ten kilograms and below for food grains and twenty-five kilograms and below for sugar;
- Bulk packaging of more than one hundred kilograms; and
- Sugar packed for export but which could not be exported on the basis of an assessment and recommendation by the Department of Food and Public Distribution.