The Centre today issued advisory to the significant social media intermediaries to:
- Ensure that due diligence is exercised and reasonable efforts are made to identify misinformation and deepfakes, and in particular, information that violates the provisions of rules and regulations and/or user agreements and
- Such cases are expeditiously actioned against, well within the timeframes stipulated under the IT Rules 2021, and
- Users are caused not to host such information/content/Deep Fakes and
- Remove any such content when reported within 36 hours of such reporting and
- Ensure expeditious action, well within the timeframes stipulated under the IT Rules 2021, and disable access to the content / information.
The intermediaries were reminded that any failure to act as per the relevant provisions of the IT Act and Rules would attract Rule 7 of the IT Rules, 2021 and could render the organization liable to losing the protection available under Section 79(1) of the Information Technology Act, 2000.