The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has issued a new order granting approval for the use of the Rapid Analytical Food Testing (RAFT) kits, equipment, and methods for screening and surveillance purposes. This order was issued on 31st October, 2023.
The new order also allows the use of the “RAFT Logo” in conjunction with specific information on approved kits and equipment.
It is pertinent to note that the new order will supersede the previous order dated March 31, 2021.
The newly issued order specifies the following key points:
- Supersession of the Previous Order: This order supersedes the previous order and provides updated guidelines for the approval and usage of RAFT kits and equipment.
- Approval and Certificate of Conformance: FSSAI grants approval for the use of RAFT kits, equipment, and methods for screening and surveillance purposes. Upon approval, a Certificate of Conformance is issued to the applicant, which remains valid for a period of three years from the date of issue.
- Use of “RAFT Logo”: Applicants are allowed to use the “RAFT Logo” (Annexure I) along with the “certificate number,” “validity period,” and the “barcode of the certificate” on the approved RAFT kits, equipment, and methods.
- Disclaimer for Kits Testing Multiple Parameters: In cases where RAFT kits or equipment are approved for testing only specific parameters out of the multiple parameters they can potentially assess, a mandatory disclaimer should be added. The disclaimer should state: “The [Name of RAFT Kit/Equipment/Method] has been approved by FSSAI (RAFT) only for testing of [List of Approved Parameters] in [List of Approved Food Categories/Matrices].”
- Certificate Number and Validity: Applicants must ensure that the certificate number and validity period are displayed exactly as mentioned on the certificate.
- Submission of Self-Declaration Form: Applicants are required to submit a self-declaration form (Annexure II) to FSSAI within two days of initiating the process to print the aforementioned information on the rapid kit or equipment.
This updated order aims to streamline the use of RAFT kits, equipment, and methods, ensuring transparency and consistency in food testing and surveillance procedures. It provides a clear framework for the use of the “RAFT Logo” and the mandatory disclaimer for kits that test specific parameters within a range.