The National Medical Commission (NMC) has issued a reminder to all medical colleges and institutions across India, emphasizing the necessity of adhering to the National Medical Commission Act, 2019, and the National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET) based selection process as stipulated in the Graduate Medical Education Regulation, 2023 for MBBS admissions in the upcoming academic year 2023-24. This notice was issued on 9th October, 2023.
In a comprehensive directive, the NMC has outlined specific guidelines that medical colleges must follow while granting admission to MBBS courses. These guidelines are enshrined in the NMC Regulations. Some of the key points of the directive are as follows:
- Admission Capacity: Medical colleges are strictly prohibited from exceeding their sanctioned intake capacity.
- Eligibility Criteria: As per the Regulations on Graduate Medical Education, 2023, applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Applicants must be at least 17 years old on or before December 31st of the admission year.
- Successful completion of the Qualifying Examination (10+2) is mandatory.
- Qualification in NEET-UG is required, with specific percentile requirements:
- General Category: 50th percentile or above.
- Physically Handicapped: 45th percentile or above.
- Reserved (SC/ST/OBC): 40th percentile or above.
- Common Counseling: All admissions must be conducted through common counseling, ensuring merit-based selection and transparency. Any deviation from this will lead to severe consequences, including student discharges and actions against the concerned medical college or institution, in accordance with the law.
To guarantee that all MBBS admissions conform to the specified Regulations, the NMC has introduced an online monitoring system, aimed at promoting accountability and transparency in medical education.
Medical colleges and institutions are now required to submit necessary information through the online system accessible on the NMC’s official website. College authorities must provide details of all students admitted to MBBS programs for the academic year 2023-24. This information should be submitted with a unique login ID by no later than October 20, 2023, at 12:00 midnight. Colleges that fail to meet this deadline will not be permitted to enter students’ details into the “UG Admission Monitoring Module” Students Entry System for the academic year 2023-24.
In addition, colleges are required to make specific student information, including caste certificates, 10+2 mark sheets, details of competitive entrance exams, and equivalence certificates for students who have completed their 10+2 outside India, mandatorily available on their respective websites.
The NMC has expressed its commitment to maintaining the integrity of medical education and will take legal action if incorrect or misleading information is provided by college authorities.
For any difficulties accessing the NMC website or the data entry process, inquiries can be directed to email@example.com, and the NMC office will respond promptly to resolve the issue.