The Governor of West Bengal has made an appeal to all employers and employees of the state covered under payment of Bonus Act, 1965 as amended by the payment of Bonus (Amendment) Act, 2015 to stick to the following guidelines while setting the legitimate dues of workers in respect of payment of bonus, in view of ensuing Durga Puja, for the year 2023 in terms of the said Act, in the interest of maintenance of industrial peace and harmony:
- It is expected that the employers, while taking note of the statutory provisions under payment of Bonus Act, 1965 as amended by the payment of Bonus (Amendment) Act, 2015 would adopt a flexible attitude on the issue of payment of bonus.
- All establishments where bonus was paid in the previous year are requested to see that the rate of bonus payable this year is not lower than that of the last year. In case, however, where there is a dispute, the same may be settled amicably through negotiations. Employers are also requested to consider payment of an amount of ex-gratia in lieu of bonus as is admissible at the maximum stage, to those workmen and employees who have crossed the eligibility limit as per payment of Bonus Act, 1965.
- All employees, whether in casual employment or re-employed after retirement or employed through contractors and have worked for not less than 30 days during the year should be paid bonus.
- The employers who are in default towards payment of bonus for the previous years are also being requested to make such payments this year along with the payment of bonus for the current year.
- The Government also appeals to all trade unions and employers’ organizations to extend their co-operation in maintenance of a climate of industrial peace and exercise their good offices for peaceful and effective settlement of industrial disputes concerning bonus without any disruption of work.