The Government of West Bengal has appealed to all employers and employees of the state covered under payment of Bonus Act, 1965 to follow the guidelines issued for bonus dues to workers for Durga Puja in 2023. This notice was issued on 15th September, 2023.
Some of the critical aspects of the guidelines are as follows:
- Employers should adopt a flexible attitude on the issue of payment of bonus
- Rate of bonus payable shall not be less than the bonus paid in the last year. Employers may also consider payment of an amount of ex-gratia in lieu of bonus as is admissible at the maximum stage., to workmen and employees who have crossed the eligibility limit.
- all employees that have worked for atleast 30 days in the previous year should be paid bonus
- Employers that have defaulted in the payment of bonus in the previous years, may make these payments in the present year along with the bonus for this year.
- Trade unions and employers’ organisations are requested to cooperate in the peaceful and effective settlement of disputes concerning payment of bonus to avoid disruption of work
- The government has noted that in the previous years employees of IT sectors, hotels and restaurants, security workers, shops and establishments and certain workers in jute mills have not been paid bonuses. The government hopes that this does not continue in the present year.
- all payments of bonus should be completed by 6th October, 2023