Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) vide notification dated 15 September, 2023 has issued Telecommunication (Broadcasting and Cable) Services Interconnection (Addressable Systems) (Fifth Amendment) Regulations, 2023. The Authority, during its consultations on Audit manual, received the feedback that owing to its benefits the IPTV based DPOs are switching to DRM technology. It is necessary that the Audit regime covers the DRM based networks and provides for enabling provisions for such operators.
The main features of the amendments are as follows:
- A new schedule X has been prescribed for Digital Rights Management (DRM) System Requirements which include:
- DRM requirements in so far as they relate to subscriber management systems (SMS) for IPTV services.
- DRM requirements for conditional access by subscribers and encryption for IPTV services.
- DRM requirements in so far as they relate to fingerprinting for IPTV services
- DRM requirements in so far as they relate to STBs/unique consumer subscription
- An enabling, technology neutral, light-touch regulatory regime, which facilitates growth and technological developments while protecting the consumer’s interest is promoted to foster overall growth.