The National Medical Commission (NMC) has sought comments from the public on the “Post-graduate Medical Education Regulations-2023” (PGMER-23), a comprehensive framework aimed at shaping the future of post-graduate medical education in India. This notice was issued on 6th September, 2023.
PGMER-23 outlines a clear focus and ambitious goals for producing competent specialists and medical teachers who will play a pivotal role in the healthcare sector.
The Focus and Goals of PGMER-23 The PGMER-23 regulations place a strong emphasis on the following goals:
- Community-Centric Approach: The primary goal of post-graduate medical education is to produce professionals who recognize the health needs of the community and fulfill their professional obligations ethically, aligning with the objectives of the national health policy.
- Competency Mastery: Graduating scholars are expected to master the competencies relevant to their respective specialties, enabling them to practice effectively at both the secondary and tertiary levels of healthcare delivery.
- Embracing Advancements: PGMER-23 encourages professionals to stay updated with contemporary advances and developments in their disciplines, fostering a culture of continuous learning and growth.
- Research and Teaching Skills: Graduates are expected to develop a spirit of scientific inquiry, proficiency in research methodology, and the ability to teach medical and paramedical professionals.
- Management Skills: The regulations emphasize the acquisition of basic management skills related to healthcare resources, hospital management, inventory, and counseling.
- Personal Characteristics: PGMER-23 underscores the importance of personal integrity, responsibility, dependability, and the ability to relate to and show concern for others.
- Professional Ethics: Graduates are encouraged to uphold the highest standards of professional ethics and fulfill social and professional obligations in line with national aspirations.
Institutions providing post-graduate medical education are tasked with aligning their goals with national objectives.
The Post-Graduate Medical Education Board (PGMEB) is inviting comments on these draft regulations. Interested parties can provide feedback by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org in MS Word or PDF format, using the subject tagline “Comments on draft Post Graduate Medical Education Regulations, 2023.” The deadline for sharing comments is September 16, 2023.