The Ministry of Commerce & Industry (MoCI) on August 02, 2023, notified Production Linked Incentive Schemes for 14 key sectors for the purpose of the PLI Schemes to attract investments in key sectors and cutting-edge technology; ensure efficiency and bring economies of size and scale in the manufacturing sector and make Indian companies and manufacturers globally competitive.
The 14 sectors are as follows:
- Mobile Manufacturing and Specified Electronic Components,
- Critical Key Starting Materials/Drug Intermediaries & Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients,
- Manufacturing of Medical Devices
- Automobiles and Auto Components,
- Pharmaceuticals Drugs,
- Specialty Steel,
- Telecom & Networking Products,
- Electronic/Technology Products,
- White Goods (ACs and LEDs),
- Food Products,
- Textile Products: MMF segment and technical textiles,
- High-efficiency solar PV modules,
- Advanced Chemistry Cell (ACC) Battery, and
- Drones and Drone Components.
All of the approved industries selected under PLI Schemes adhere to the general criterion of focusing on essential technologies in which India can leapfrog and expand employment, exports, and overall economic advantages. These sectors were accepted following a thorough review by NITI Aayog and extensive consultation with the relevant Ministries/Departments.