The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment on July 18, 2023 has notified the Rights of Person’s with Disabilities (Amendment) Rules, 2023. The amendment has incorporated Guidelines on Accessible Sports Complex and Residential Facilities for Sports Persons with Disabilities into the Rules. Following basic facilities shall be ensured in all Accessible Sports Complex and Residential Facilities for Sports Persons:
- Level entry (step-free) entrances facilitate not just wheelchair users but also people with buggies; people with suitcases or shopping trolleys; people using walking or mobility aids; and people with visual difficulties.
- Larger toilet compartments provide easier access to wheelchair users; parents with pushchairs or accompanying small children; those using walking or mobility aids; and larger-sized people.
- Clear, well-placed signage that uses recognized symbols or pictograms helps people with reading or cognitive difficulties, and those whose first language is neither English nor Hindi.
- Providing both steps and a ramp where there is a change in level.
- Providing machines and equipments that offer slots at different heights to facilitate use at standing height, sitting height, and by people of small stature.