IRDAI on 16th June, 2023 has advised general Insurers and standalone health insurance companies to mobilize all resources to ensure immediate service response including outsourced functions
such as investigators, surveyors and loss adjustors to handle Insurance claims relating to Cyclone Biparjoy.
Cyclone Biparjoy (June 2023) is expected to cause widespread loss to property (homes and businesses) and infrastructure in various States.
The following measures shall be taken:
- Nominate a Senior Executive in each affected State / UT to act as the Nodal Claims Officer overseeing the claims response. The Nodal Officer appointment should be communicated to the Chief Secretary/ Officer concerned of the State immediately.
- Districts reporting large numbers of claims may be overseen by a designated District Claims Service Head.
- The contact particulars of the State / District heads should be published on the Insurer website and necessary publicity may be also given in the press.
- All Insurers should also activate, publish 24×7 helplines to respond / assist Claimants and launch extensive awareness campaign duly highlighting the measures taken.
- Special Claims Desks at District level with adequate delegated Claims Settlement Teams are recommended to be set up in affected areas to facilitate claims speedy processing and settlements including release of on-account interim payments to assist early reinstatement of property/ businesses.
- It needs to be ensured that all claims are surveyed immediately and claim payments/ on account payments are disbursed at the earliest and in any case not exceeding the stipulated timeline.
- Adequate number of surveyor may be engaged immediately as required and if needed, consider engaging surveyor from neighboring areas as well.
- The insurer shall encourage the policyholder to use electronic communication wherever possible for correspondence while initiating the claim and filing all the relevant documents. Efforts shall be made to ensure that digital processes are resorted to the extent possible for assessment of claims.
- Insurers are also expected to review and streamline processing of claims by ensuring only such documentation necessary to substantiate claim quantums, to ensure expeditious final settlement.
All General Insurers (including Standalone Health Insurers) are advised to submit information related to Cyclone Biparjoy claims to the IRDAI on a weekly basis at firstname.lastname@example.org for a month.