The Government of Puducherry has notified the Puducherry Child and Adolescent Labour Rehabilitation Fund Scheme. The scheme will be operative in districts of Puducherry and Karaikal. It will come into operation from the date of its publication in the official gazette.
The scheme aims to provide statutory financial assistance to children or adolescents rescued under the Child and Adolescent Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act, 1986.
This scheme, amongst others, provides for the Constitution of the Fund and the Constitution of an Advisory Committee comprising of 6 members.
The scheme also lays down the following conditions for eligibility to receive Fund/Corpus income:
- The child or adolescent should have been employed in contravention of the provisions of the Child and Adolescent Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act, 1986.
- The child or adolescent so employed should have been duly rescued from the employment.
- The child or adolescent so rescued shall be admitted in appropriate school, or special training centre or any other learning system established and working under the Right to Education Act, 2009 or any other system created under law.
- The child or adolescent admitted to school/college shall continue in school or college
- The full details of child/adolescent including photograph, aadhaar card, mobile number, if any, shall be collected by the concerned person/Inspector.
- The concerned person/Inspector who rescues the child/adolescent shall collect the Bank Account details of the child/adolescent so rescued or their parents/guardians compulsorily or take steps for opening of a zero-balance account in any Nationalized Bank
It may be recalled that the government of Puducherry had published the Puducherry Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) (Amendment) Rules, 2020 on 17th November 2020.