The National Medical Commission (NMC) has notified the Teachers Eligibility Qualifications in Medical Institutions Regulations, (Amendment), 2023. This notification was published on 12th April, 2023 and has come into force from 3rd March, 2023.
It may be recalled that the Teachers Eligibility Qualifications in Medical Institutions Regulations, 2022 were notified on 22nd February, 2023. These Regulations deal with the norms for appointment of faculty in medical institutions.
The present amendment, amends the ‘General Norms regarding Foreign Postgraduate Qualifications for Equivalence’.
As per the prior norms, a person with Postgraduate medical qualifications awarded in United Kingdom, United States of America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, would be eligible for the post of Assistant Professor in the respective department and his subsequent promotions would be as per Teachers “Eligibility Qualifications in Medical Institutions Regulations – 2022”
However, the present amendment regulation states that such a person shall be considered for teaching job in medical college in India if he/she fulfills the following conditions:
- acquisition of MBBS qualification in India and
- obtained recognized PG qualification, eligible for registration in India,
- such PG qualification may have been obtained from United Kingdom, United States of America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand
- such PG qualification is equivalent qualifications with MD/MS/DM/MCh
- such person also fulfils the prescribed criteria in those countries
Moreover, such appointment is also subject to the Teachers Eligibility qualifications in Medical Institutions regulations-2022 and the the individual’s teaching experience in medical sciences.