Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) has issued initiatives for health systems strengthening in Aspirational Districts.
National Health Mission (NHM) envisages achievement of universal access to equitable, affordable & quality health care services that are accountable and responsive to people’s needs. The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare provides technical and financial support to the States/UTs to strengthen the public healthcare system, based on the proposals received in the form of Programme Implementation Plans (PIPs). Government of India provides approval for the proposals in the form of Record of Proceedings (RoPs) as per norms & available resources.
Under NHM, following types of incentives and honorarium are provided for encouraging Health Specialists to practice in different regions of the country including rural and remote areas of the country:
- Hard area allowance to specialist doctors for serving in rural and remote areas and for their residential quarters.
- Honorarium to Gynecologists/ Emergency Obstetric Care (EmoC) trained, Pediatricians & Anesthetist/ Life Saving Anaesthesia Skills (LSAS) trained doctors.
- Incentives like special incentives for doctors, incentive for ANM for ensuring timely ANC checkup and recording, incentives for conducting Adolescent Reproductive and Sexual Health activities.
- States are also allowed to offer negotiable salary to attract specialist including flexibility in strategies such as “You Quote We Pay”.
- Non-Monetary incentives such as preferential admission in post graduate courses for staff serving in difficult areas and improving accommodation arrangement in rural areas have also been introduced under NHM.
- Multi-skilling of doctors is supported under NHM to overcome the shortage of specialists.