The Ministry of Labour & Employment vide press release dated 23 March, 2023 has clarified the measures taken under occupational Safety, Health and Working Conditions (OSH) Code to provide decent working conditions and social security to all categories of workers including migrant workers.
There exist several social security and welfare schemes for workers including migrant workers. Some of the prominent schemes are as follows:
- Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) and Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY) launched in 2015 provide for life & disability cover due to natural or accidental death.
- Pradhan MantriShram Yogi Man Dhan Pension Scheme (PM-SYM) launched in 2019 provides for old age social security in the form of monthly pension.
- Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) launched in 2018 provides Rs.5 lakh health coverage for secondary and tertiary health benefits to those migrant workers who are covered as eligible beneficiaries as per deprivation and occupation criteria.
- PM-SVANidhi Scheme facilitates collateral free working capital loan of upto Rs.10,000/- for one-year tenure to street vendors.
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana caters to the housing needs of all eligible beneficiaries.