Ministry of Road Transport & Highways vide press release dated 23 March, 2023 has facilitated the application for grant of registration certificate to set up Automated Testing Stations and Registered Vehicle Scrapping Facilities through National Single Window System (NSWS). For implementation of Voluntary Vehicle-Fleet Modernization Programme (V-VMP) or Vehicle Scrapping Policy, following steps have been taken by the Government:
(1) GSR Notification 653 (E) dated 23.09.2021 provides the Motor Vehicles (Registration and Functions of Vehicle Scrapping Facility) Rules, 2021 for establishment of Registered Vehicles Scrapping Facility (RVSF). The notification has come into force with effect from 25th September, 2021.
(2) GSR Notification 652 (E) dated 23.09.2021 provides for recognition, regulation and control of Automated Testing Stations. The notification has come into force with effect from 25th September, 2021.
(3) GSR Notification 714 (E) dated 04.10.2021 provides for upward revision of registration fee, fitness testing fee and fitness certification fee of vehicles. The notification has come into force with effect from 1st April, 2022.
(4) GSR Notification 720 (E) dated 05.10.2021 provides for concession in the motor vehicle tax for the vehicle registered against submission of “Certificate of deposit”. The notification has come into force with effect from 1st April, 2022.
(5) GSR notification 272(E) dated 05.04.2022 provides for mandatory fitness of motor vehicles only through an Automated Testing Station, registered in accordance with rule 175 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989, as under –
(i) For Heavy Goods Vehicles/Heavy Passenger Motor Vehicles with effect from 01st April 2023 onwards, and
(ii) For Medium Goods Vehicles/Medium Passenger Motor Vehicles and Light Motor Vehicles (Transport) with effect from 01st June 2024 onwards.
(6) GSR Notification 695(E) dated 13.09.2022 provides for amendments in Motor Vehicles (Registration and Functions of Vehicle Scrapping Facility) Rules, 2021 earlier published vide GSR 653(E) dated 23.09.2021.
(7) GSR notification 797(E) dated 31.10.2022 provides for amendments in the rules for “recognition, regulation and control of automated testing stations” earlier published vide G.S.R. 652(E) dated 23.09.2021.
(8) GSR Notification 29(E) dt 16.01.2023 provides that Certificate of registration for vehicles owned, by Central, States and UT governments and their Departments, Local government (Municipal Corporations or Municipalities or Panchayats), PSUs and other Autonomous bodies with the Central Government and State Governments, shall not be renewed after the lapse of fifteen years.