The Ministry of Coal on February 13, 2023, launched one mobile app namely “KhananPrahari” and one web app Coal Mine Surveillance and Management System (CMSMS) for reporting unauthorized coal mining activities so that monitoring and taking suitable action on it can be done by concerned Law & Order enforcing authority. It is a Mobile App of the Ministry of Coal for Reporting Illegal Coal Mining and a tool for reporting any illegal coal mining incident through geo-tagged photographs and textual information by any citizen from the place of incidence.
The following measures are taken to reduce illegal coal mining operations in the country: –
• Concrete walls have been erected on the mouth of the abandoned mines to prevent access and illegal activities in these areas.
• Surprise raids/checks being conducted jointly by security personnel and law and order authorities of the concerned State Government.
• Dumping of the overburden is being done on the outcrop zones.
• Installation of check posts at vulnerable points.
• Training of existing security/CISF personnel, refresher training and basic training of new recruits in security discipline for strengthening the security setup;
• Maintaining close liaison with the State authorities.
• Committee/task force has been constituted at different levels (block level, sub-divisional level, district level, state level) in some subsidiaries of CIL to monitor different aspects of illegal mining.