The Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution has issued a notification on the declaration of mandatory information on the outer retail package. The notification was issued on 18th January, 2023.
Under the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011, it is necessary to declare the following mandatory information, on all the packages, meant for retail sale:
- Name and address of the manufacturer/ packer/ importer.
- Country of origin for imported products.
- Common or generic name of the commodity contained in the package.
- Net quantity, in terms of standard unit of weight or measure or in number.
- Month and year of manufacture/ pack/ import.
- Best before/ use by date, month, and year for the commodities which may become unfit for human consumption.
- Retail sale price in Maximum Retail Price (MRP) Rs ….. Inclusive of all taxes.
- Consumer care details
- Where the sizes of the commodity contained in the package are relevant, the dimensions of the commodity contained in the package and if the dimensions of the different pieces are different, the dimensions of each such different piece shall be mentioned.
- Unit sale price (shall come into force with effect from February 01, 2023)
These declarations are intended to be in the interest of consumers. It was however observed by the authorities that the mandatory information is not declared on a retail package containing more than one retail package.
The notification reiterates that it is mandatory that all the necessary declarations also be made on all retail packages inside a group/ combination/ multi-piece/ gift package. This is also in accordance with the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011.
It shall now also be ensured that the MRP, net quantity, and date of expiry/ use by date (wherever applicable) are declared on the outer packaging of all the packages, packed inside the combination/ group/ multi-piece/ gift package.