National Medical Commission has issued a notification of the Establishment of Medical College Regulations, (Amendment), 2022. These Regulations were published in the Official Gazette on 14th December, 2022 and come into immediate effect.
The amendment revises the “Qualifying Criteria” for establishing a medical college. It states that the requirement of ‘fully functional hospital for a minimum period of 2 years’ shall not apply to Universities or deemed to be universities who meet the following conditions:
- have experience of establishing and running fully functional recognized medical colleges and hospital
- the number of beds in such hospitals shall be 1000 beds or more,
- they must be operational for at least two years
- they may be located anywhere in India
- the buildings of both the hospital and the medical college are owned and managed by the same organization.
- The building of the proposed medical college has not been used for any other purpose before making an application to the Medical Assessment and Rating Board (MARB) of National Medical Commission (NMC) for establishment of new medical colleges, and
- At the time of application, the said medical college has an established multi-specialty hospital with at least 1000 in-patient beds and fulfils all other norms under the regulation.